Thursday, October 30, 2014

Movember: The Story Behind the 'Stache and Why the Movement Matters

As I write this blog post it is a cold, windy, and overcast day in Marquette. A "typical" fall day as most would consider it. While many are making Halloween plans or thinking of last minute costume ideas the thing that keeps invading my thoughts is that November 1st is just a few short days away. This means that all across the world men are prepping their razors and shaving cream for that important day. The day that marks the start of Movember.
You can check out the Movember website here.
Long story short, Movember is a month of raising funds in the name of men's health. Specifically, the funds go towards prostate and testicular cancer research, and programs for men who have cancer or have survived it. The rules are extremely simple: November 1st those participating must shave their face clean, and for the next month must grow a moustache; beards and goatees do not count. We grow our 'staches because the moustache stands as a symbol of all that is man. From Clark Gable to Hulk Hogan, history has been full of moustaches that we associate with the "man's man". Cool individuals that men everywhere grew up idolizing.

Now, throughout this month some may grow a great 'stache while others struggle mightily. Yet the quality of 'stache is not really important. What matters is that you are standing in solidarity with others, making the sacrifice of your personal looks in the name of men's health. As you grow that 'stache it is a conversation piece, and the more awareness there is for this often overlooked issue the better.  As the month progresses participants share their growth journey on social media and by word of mouth and encourage people to donate to the cause. I personally have been participating for three years, with my journey starting when the issue hit close to home.

A very close friend of mine has had testicular cancer twice. His name is Brandon, and we have known each other almost our entire lives. By the grace of God he survived both battles like a champ. He remains cancer free today (Homer Simpson voice- WOOHOO!), but that's not to say he doesn't carry scars. In an attempt to lighten the mood I will put it this way: He's only got half a nut left. While it's easy to makes jokes, which we routinely do, the truth of the matter is he doesn't really know if he can ever have kids (he was told that the odds are extremely low). Also, let's not forget the emotional and mental scars that come with having cancer. The entire process takes a toll on the body, mind, and spirit as you essentially have to do battle ever day. Now earlier, I said my friend survived both battles like a champ. I say this because through his perseverance and legendary sense of humor he's pushed on. I can't even begin to name all of the different organizations he has been a part of or raised money for in the fight against cancer. You can read more of his story here.

Truthfully, our relationship has had peaks and valleys over the years, and it pains me to say that while he went through his ordeal we weren't really even talking. I recall sending a few messages of encouragement, but that really was the extent of my support. It wasn't because we had any sort of issues, it was just that we were at separate colleges living separate lives. It's a fact of life that sometimes friendships drift, but it still is a regret that I carry that I wasn't there for him more. Life has funny way of coming full circle, and in the years since college my friend and I have grown close again. He even stood in my wedding! To think that cancer may have taken away the chance for him to do that or even for us to rekindle our friendship is very scary one.

Brandon and I on my wedding day.
What I've done now is used that regret and turned it into a positive, because it is the reason I participate in Movember every year right by friend's side. I've never specifically told him that, but it is my way of making up for not being a better friend during a tough time. We cannot change the past, but we can learn from it and hopefully make a better future, and that's what the Movember Movement offers me.

By now you are probably thinking, "Ok, neat story, but why should Movember matter to me?" It really boils down to two main things.

The first is awareness, because the fact of the matter is there's a really good chance a man you know has dealt with cancer. You may have a story about it or you may not have even known they were dealing with it. Men aren't exactly a fan of sharing emotions or issues, especially medical ones. We usually "poo poo" everything and avoid the doctors. I know I've been guilty of it! Sadly, this leads to many men not surviving cancer, because they don't know they have it until it's too late. Movember is a great way to increase awareness and promote men regularly getting screened and being open to discussing things. 

The second reason is that men's health issues are just as important as women's. I say this in response to the "pink washing" that is the month of October. By that I mean everywhere you look for that whole month all you see is pink ribbons on everything from professional athletes to the products you purchase at stores. This is a great thing that I am in support of, but where is the love for the fellas?! It is no secret that cancer knows no age, race, or gender, so in that regard I feel very strongly that there should be just as many blue ribbons out there as pink ones.

The Movember Movement might be largest organization waving that flag, raising $22.9 million last year alone. They allocated 83% of that money towards men's health programs and research. Sadly, this pales in comparison to the $263 million that the Susan G. Komen Foundation raised last year, and that's only one of the many women's health organizations. The good news is that Movember has gained momentum every year it has been in existence. We just have to keep things going in the right direction. By we I don't mean just my fellow Mo' Bros as we are called. Women are encouraged to become Mo' Sistas as well, and no, you don't have to grow a moustache! You can raise funds, get conversations going to raise awareness, and encourage the men out there growing their 'stache for the cause. So with that, I encourage you to get out there and get involved, or if that's not your cup of tea please consider donating to the cause. Whether it is your time or your money that you donate you are helping men's health take big steps in a positive and very necessary direction. Until next time my friends...

**If you wish to donate to my Movember just click here. Thank you in advance for your support of the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment