Thursday, October 23, 2014

Yooper Food Spotlight - Pat's Bar

I have a regular lunch date with a good friend of mine. About once a month we meet at a local spot to chew the fat (pun intended) and enjoy some good food. We both are "foodies" in our own respective ways, so quality is a must when picking a locale. We always take turns who picks, and this month it was on my friend to do the honors. Normally, we toss a few ideas back and forth and see what sticks, but when we spoke last week that didn't happen. Instead he texted me two magic words, "Pat's Bar."

Pat's Bar has been a staple in Marquette practically forever. It carries with it a reputation for good food, and more notably that you aren't allowed to swear. No seriously, if you curse out loud they will ask you to leave. I was unable to come up with the year that Pat's opened in my research, but I know my father frequented the place during his college years in the early 70's. From the minute you get there it is obvious that this is a place that has stood the test of time. From the classic neon signage on top, to the old school brick architecture, Pat's Bar is vintage head to toe. Yet, this isn't done in the way that many places are doing now to try and get the "retro" look. This establishment IS the definition of retro. If anything, other places try to emulate what this place does naturally.

Photo courtesy of Pat's Bar Facebook page.


I've lived in the Marquette area for four years, and I'm almost embarrassed to say this was my first true trip to Pat's. I had been there one other time for a quick beer, but it was later at night so let's just say I wasn't exactly focused on my surroundings at the time. As we walked in the door this time and I looked around I made sure to soak it all in. At first glance I first see two middle age gentleman sitting at a table. One is of course in a flannel coat and they are deep in conversation. We make it in a little farther and I notice cribbage boards behind the bar just begging for a game of "fifteen two" to get started. The last thing I spy is an older gentlemen sitting at the bar slouching over a beer in his American Legion jacket.Vintage Yooper bar indeed!

We sat down at a high top table along the wall opposite the bar and instantly fell into our familiar banter of fantasy football and recent dealings. Suddenly, the owner/waitress/bartender yells from behind the bar, "Coke with Ice?!" My compadre replies with a quick yes. As I order myself a Sprite I can't help but be impressed that she remembers his usual order and does so with gusto.

**Sidenote: I would have ordered a beer, but were on our lunch hour during the work week.

The woman quickly brings our pops over in short mugs and brings her order pad with her. She starts in with my friend like they have been friends for 40 years. "The usual? Fried onions? You want the deluxe this time?" This retort with my friend catches me off guard, as I start having multiple thoughts all at once. Where are the menus, and how the hell does she know what he orders so well? I ask if there is a menu and she shoots me a quizzical look."First timer?" she quips as she glances back at my buddy. Before we can answer she quickly explains to me that a deluxe means lettuce, tomato, mayo on whatever burger you order. I inquire about a mushroom Swiss and get a quick reply that they don't have mushrooms and Swiss isn't an option. "You want cheese, we have American." is the answer that I am given. She mentions that I can get the usual toppings: onions, pickles, bacon, relish should I so choose. She also explains you can get fries with or without gravy (holy wah!), onion rings, cheese sticks, or poppers, which I assume are the Jalapeno variety. Based on the vast amount of info I'm given in a short period of time it is obvious that while other options are available, made to order burgers are the standard here. I have basically been guided to the promised land! I know now that the menu would be a waste of time because this place is no muss and no fuss. Things are short, sweet, and to the point. I quickly realize that this is definitely my kind of place! My friend recommends the onion rings, so I get those and order a bacon cheeseburger deluxe. Our server takes off with our order and it doesn't take long for delicious smells and the sound of sizzles to start creeping out of the small kitchen area. I have a strong feeling that patience will certainly be a virtue...

In no time flat our burgers are brought to us and we dive right in. This isn't a food blog so I will spare you that play by play, but simply put, everything about my burger was "just right". It was the same as the ordering was: simple and to the point. Most importantly, you could taste in every juicy bite that it was made with TLC. In my opinion, that's what makes places like Pat's Bar all across the UP special. Quite frankly, it's what sets them apart in an age of chain restaurants and fast food service. Mention Pat's to anyone who is from Marquette or knows the area and they all say the same thing, "Oh man their burgers are awesome!" After experiencing it for myself I'm definitely a believer! If you want a low-key meal that's high on flavor and full of Yooper heart and soul, Pat's Bar truly is a must stop.
Taste Explosion
As we were finishing our meal the bartender/server/owner stopped by and dropped off the bill. We turned it over and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was $20. You can't go wrong when an establishment has vintage prices to go with a solid vintage vibe. We got up to leave and I once again looked around and took in my surroundings. I couldn't help but feel nostalgic being in a cozy Yooper bar with great burgers. Mostly because it reminded me of another favorite spot of mine: The Woodward Bar in Kingsford. We will leave that great Yooper experience for another blog post. On our way out the door my friend asked the owner "You think he's allowed back?" in regards to me. She looked me up and down quickly, and with a grin and a chuckle said, "Sure, at least now he knows how to order." I guess for now my Yooper Man Card is safe. Until next time my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment