Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Shooter's Super Simple Crock Pot Venison Stew

Greetings to all. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with your loved ones. As I write this it seems like it's getting colder every damn day, so my wife and I have started to turn towards our hearty comfort foods. You know the ones I'm talking about. They feel like they warm your bones as you eat them, and they give you a post meal glow that lasts through those frigid UP nights until you head to bed. A staple for our house is my crock pot venison stew. Unfortunately I didn't get a deer this year, so I'm getting down to the last of my venison reserves. Luckily, I have a few packs of stew meat left, and they tend to go a long way! As I was preparing everything last night I thought, "Why not share this with everyone?!" So, without further adieu, this is my super simple crock pot venison stew recipe.

(Disclaimer: I'm far from being a great cook, but I came up with this on my own in my bachelor days when I wanted something easy and tasty. People seem to like it, but feel free to change things up as you see fit)

What You'll Need

* 1 - Larger size crock pot.
* 2 - Packs of venison stew meat (If don't have stew meat you could cube up any venison you have in the freezer)
* 3 - Larger sized carrots
* 3 - Larger sized potatoes
* 1/4 - of an onion
* 2 - Cans of cream of mushroom soup (Normally I'd say use whatever, but go with Campbells. You can honestly taste the difference)
* Garlic Powder
* Pepper

Getting Started
The first thing I like to do is chop up the 1/4 onion and mix it in a pan with all of the venison. Then I cover everything in garlic powder and pepper and put it aside. This is to give the meat time to soak up the seasoning a little while I work on everything else. The goal is to take some of the gamey taste out of the venison, but not totally.

Next you just want to peel and cut up the carrots and potatoes. Try and cube up the potatoes as evenly as you can.

That's basically it as far as prep goes, so as I said earlier: EASY!

Prepped and ready to rock!

Crock Pot Time
Again this is super simple, just throw everything in the crockpot, and add in the two cans of cream of mushroom soup. Use one of the empty soup cans to put 2 1/2 cans of water into the crock pot as well. Stir it all up with a big spoon until everything is mixed evenly, and then it's time to slow cook!

Set your crock pot on low, and if it has a timer then set it for 8 hours. You can get away with 6 or 7 hours if you are in a hurry, but your carrots and potatoes won't be quite as soft. Every 1.5 to 2 hours just give a stir.

Time To Eat
Taste Explosion
Your finished product should resemble the above photo, which was actually taken tonight before we sat down to eat. I knew I hit a home run when my wife said "Oh wow. This tastes just like something my mom would make!" Score one for Shooter! Trust me. If I can whip this together then anyone can do it! It doesn't get any easier, and this meal is filling, healthy, and cheap to make. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment